Surreal

Portrait of Edward James.jpg
1. René Magritte. The False Mirror.
I find this painting intriguing because the concept and execution are both very strong. At first sight, it might be a bit difficult to discern the surrealist element of the painting, which leads to a stronger reaction to the realization that this is surreal. The surrealism is subtle but also intriguing because the mirror does not seem faulty at first sight, but upon closer examination one can see that although the mirror does reflect, it does not do it in the way that one would expect. I liked this because the concept seemed very simple but interesting and could be executed through photography as well.

Bildergebnis für surrealist mirror art



































2. Alex Alemany
I liked this painting because it continued the surrealist mirror theme that I was looking for and had a new take on it. I am really intrigued by this painting in particular because it's interesting and confusing from the very first glance, unlike the previous one. It takes a refreshing perspective with a strong execution, considering how the hand dipping into the bowl is emerging from the bowl and out of the mirror.

My concept was a mirror that does not reflect reality. I felt that the most intriguing way to execute this concept was to make the inside of a mirror a completely contrasting setting than the back ground.   I shot the photo in a forest and decided that the biggest contrast to the trees in the background would be a cloudy sky. I achieved this by using the magnetic lasso tool in  photoshop to outline the mirror and the hands and pasted the photo of clouds through a window. I moved the photo in order to achieve the desired effect of looking out a window and changed the perspective as well as added a shadow. Lastly, I adjusted the photo a bit in lightroom.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts