Assignment #6: Diptych

The concept that I had for my diptych was a fake and a real or a 3D and a 2D sunflower. I thought that even though the objects are essentially the same that because one of them is 3D and the other is 2D that this would be a good example of opposites. I also thought that the context of each photo was important in diptych because the bottom one is surrounded by other, real sunflowers whereas in the top one it can be seen that the sunflower is simply part of the design on a sweatshirt and is therefore flat.
I think that my idea for this particular assignment was on the right track, however, I don't think that I was able to execute it as accurately or cleanly as I would have liked. In my opinion, for the diptych to be a stronger example of opposites the composition of each picture needs to be a bit better. For example, the top picture should possibly show a stronger focus on the sunflower itself with a more blurred background of the surrounding words and sweatshirt, making it appear more flat and fake. This would support the idea of fake and real and make the sunflower really pop as shiny and 2 dimensional. In regard to the bottom picture, I feel that the focus and composition could be better, in that the center and petals could be in better focus and really show the depth and shading of the flower. This would make it appear softer and more realistic, which would directly contrast the top picture and show the large differences not only in appearance but texture. I think that the lighting on these two pictures were also a it off. I would have liked the top picture to have more fluorescent, cheaper looking lighting and the bottom to have more natural light.

Comments

  1. Interesting! Nice combination with the sunflower. Your writing was interesting as well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts